Monday, August 20, 2012

A New Twist on Popsicle Sticks

The kids in my class know that sooner or later I will be calling their name to help me out with something in my classroom using my handy-dandy Popsicle stick container. I like using the sticks to call on students because A) it's random. B) I can catch students off guard. C) I make it suspenseful for the kids and the get excited when their stick is drawn. It takes a lot of building up to get the kids excited about the sticks, especially in 5th grade.

One problem that I had in the past was either forgetting who I called on, or setting down the stick of someone I already called on and then misplacing it!!! I am really not that forgetful, I just have a million and one things going on at once. I tried having two containers. Didn't work for me. I tried a smaller cup inside of a bigger cup to separate the sticks, I didn't like it. Then I had a light bulb moment.

I have the problem solved!

I painted one of the ends turquoise. I will put each students name on a stick and place it turquoise side DOWN in my little bucket. After I have called on that person, turquoise side goes UP.

Here are some photos of my painting session. It was kind of tricky, but I made it work...

I started with ugly sticks from Jo-Ann's.

Then, I lined up the sticks on a paper bag, then taped it down with masking tape.


I painted my sticks on BOTH sides (Front and Back).

It dried in about 20 minutes. All I have left to do it add names to each stick.


No comments:

Post a Comment